"You are good. But it is not enough just to be good. You must be good for something. You must contribute good to the world. The world must be a better place for your presence. And the good that is in you must be spread to others..." Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, March 3, 2014

Pocatello! Week 3

WOW. So this week was.... definitely a trial of faith! So Sunday night I was extremely sick and that sickness tracked onto last Monday... I could barely walk and just slept all day and e-mailed you guys. Tuesday the sickness held on. I was feeling pretty down, I'll be honest. I wanted so badly to go out and teach and serve with my companion and I was still having trouble standing. But Monday night Sister Jacobson went out and taught a man that has been taught many years but hasn't commited anything with regards to the LDS church. However, Sister Jacobson told me a cool story. She said, "We were in the lesson and we were teaching him and I didn't know what to say or do and the thought came into my mind: 'what would Sister Mork do? She would testify of God's love for Him because that's what He needs to remember. He is a child of God.' The moment I shifted the lesson to God's love for Him, the entire lesson changed. His demeanor changed. The environment of the room changed and Spirit testified and he committed to baptism!" How awesome is that?! I was feeling so sad because I felt like I wasn't doing anything by lying in bed, but she said that she felt my Spirit with them as they taught. It's funny because Sister Jacobson and I are so similar but so different. She claims that she's learning from me, but I am learning so much from her. She is so intelligent and strong and witty and reliable. I really love and admire her so much. Heavenly Father really does place us around people we can learn and grow from. I am thankful for those I am priveleged to meet and serve and love everyday. Life is a blessing. Also, Monday night I received the package and letter from home, mom. Thank you so much. I know it was supposed to come on Saturday, but the fact I got it Monday night was such a miracle. It lifted my spirits right up and reminded me that although this sickness is a setback, I will be strengthened and I will be made strong from Christ. I just kept thinking: What can I learn from this? Then I recieved a letter from my beautiful sister of cousin, Tori! I love you, Tor. And a letter from my kind hearted, tender nana Jeri. I'm so grateful for all the letters I recieve from my loved ones. To anyone that has and is and will send me packages or letters: thank you! I love you! Your words of encouragement and love are heaven sent and I couldn't be more thankful or blessed. Tuesday I rested all morning and then prayed with all of my heart to be healthy enough to attend a baptism. Me and my companion had been teaching this young nine year old boy and I didn't want to miss it! Thankfully Heavenly Father heard my pleas and delivered me. He gave me enough strength to attend the baptism. The spirit of love and kindness that was felt at the baptism is unexplainable. There is something so pure and Christ-centered about baptism - taking that step of faith. So beautiful. Watching Kaj's adorable nine year old face just grinning as he came out of the water was enough to make my heart burst with happiness. THIS is why I'm devoting 18 months of my life so my Savior - to bring others to Christ. Afterwards we were scheduled for a teaching appointment and I was feeling really weak. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go with my companion or not and I felt the impression, "Go." So I put my trust in God and went to the teaching appointment. I promised Him that if He would sustain me through the appointment and keep me healthy as we taught that I would go and do His word and guess what?! I was fine through the lesson. We felt such peace and love and guidance as we taught. The love I feel for that young man is just unexplainable. He has had such a difficult life - drugs, jail, abuse, etc.... and yet his ability to just love those around him unconditionally amazes me. He is a son of God and really emulates that love in his words and deeds. He then committed to baptism! It was an amazing moment. I am so excited to continue to teach him all about this gospel that brings so much joy. Tuesday we had many appointments fall through which I actually think was a tender mercy. Because so many cancelled on us I had time to rest and sleep and didn't miss any lessons. I think it was Heavenly Father saying, "Rest." However, that night my sickness took on a new role. At around 9 pm I couldn't speak. I was stuttering and couldn't form my words correctly. I had a fever and couldn't think or formulate my thoughts. Sister Jacobson called a few nurses and they demanded that I be taken to the ER. I had been throwing up Sunday - Wednesday constantly and couldn't keep any water down. They thought that I needed to be hydrated. We called our Zone Leaders to borrow their car, Elder Mason and Elder Meir, and they came right over. SO GRATEFUL. It was around 11 pm by then. Sister Jacobson drove me to the ER. We walked in and I gave my information. Quickly they got me to a room with an IV and gave me fluids. They took a few blood tests and gave me a CAT scan on my head. The doctor said, "Does the President know that you're here?" And me, feeling confused, said, "Obama?" They all laughed. They meant the Mission President hahah:) Anyways, they feared that I might've suffered from a minor stroke or perhaps had meningitis. After being in the ER from 11:30 pm to 4:30 pm they finally decided that I had an awful virus and had encountered an anxiety attack which caused the speech imipediment. So grateful for the wonderful nurses and doctors that were able to help me. Then on our way home we stopped at Walgreens to get my presciption. Our car died. We then said a prayer and right as we prayed someone drove in front of us with car cables and they were able to start the car. Heavenly Father is SO GOOD. I am so thankful for a loving Father who answeres all of our prayers. We are His children and He loves us. I then gave the kind man that started our car a Book of Mormon as we thanked him. What a tender mercy! We went home and slept for 3 hours before we woke up for Zone Conference. Thursday was Zone Conference! YAY. President and his wife were surprised that I was able to go, but I wasn't going to miss my first Zone Conference. The spirit and words spoken there really made it all worth it. Later that day we didn't have appointments so I took the much needed rest. Just fluids and sleeping to help cure the pain. Friday I was able to rest as well. So many members and people were so concerned and delivered soup and such kind gifts to help me get better. Just having people ask, "Sister Mork, how are you?" made me feel so loved. I could feel the kindness and love from them. I love my Heavenly Father and those people that are around me. I didn't feel so lonely.... especially during a time when I felt like I wasn't doing all the work I needed to. To have people sincerely wonder how I was doing made all the difference. Speak up! Give hugs! Smile at people. Ask how they are, sincerely. You never know how much that might mean to them. I felt God's angels around me and I am so thankful for them. Saturday was recooperating day as well. I just kept asking Heavenly Father what I could do with the limitations I had and he gave me peace. As long as we are doing all we can to help those around us and we are constantly striving to rely on His spirit, He will be proud of us and we will feel His love. Sunday I finally started feeling a little better. We went to church and it was Fast and Testimony meeting. What a spirit I felt! Sister Jacobson and I bore our witness and testimony in both wards we cover. It was so spiritually uplifting. Think about it - we have a loving Heavenly Father that cares for each and every one of us and an older brother that loves us with an infinite love... loves us enough to die for us.... what a joy this is! We are all brothers and sisters. Kaj was confirmed and recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost. I'm so happy I was able to witness that. If we look for them, we will find miracles everywhere. If we don't, then we won't see any... but I bear witness as a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ that God is aware of you. He loves you. He hears your cries. He is with you. He will comfort you. In John 14, Christ says, "I will not leave you comfortless. I will come to you." Christ loves you with an infinite love and He will carry you when you feel you cannot stand. I testify that Christ lives. He lives and He loves you. He died for you so that through Him you can have eternal life. Have faith. Come unto Christ. I pray I will be worthy to live with my Savior one day. I pray my entire family will be there and there will be no empty chairs... and through Christ and our works and faith, we can all be together again. Read the words of the hymn, "I Stand All Amazed." It is such a beautiful hymn. Music can pierce our hearts and bring in a special spirit. I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me. Such mercy such love and devotion can I forget? No, no I will praise and adore at the mercy seat until at the glorified throne I kneel at His feet. Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me. Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me. I love you. Love, Sister Mork

No comments:

Post a Comment