"You are good. But it is not enough just to be good. You must be good for something. You must contribute good to the world. The world must be a better place for your presence. And the good that is in you must be spread to others..." Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pocatello! Week 7

Hello my loved ones! So this was a growing week... every week is a growing week in the mission field though;) So Tuesday 3/25 was wonderful. We had our last District Meeting as a district because Wednesday everyone left for different areas for transfers. It was sad to see those wonderful elders leave, but it has been such a pleasure to work with such fantastic children of God. Sister Jacobson and I are staying for at least another six weeks! Yay! Anyways, while I was reading in District Meeting I came across a scripture where Christ said, "I came into the world to do the will of my father because my father sent me." It just got me thinking... why do I do anything I do? Why am I serving an 18 month mission? Because my Father in Heaven sent me and I want to serve Him. I want to serve Him and show Him how much I do love Him. I want to show Jesus Christ, my selflessly loving and merciful brother that I love Him by teaching our brothers and sisters about Him and about His true church restored on the Earth today. Is everything I'm doing today and tomorrow and everyday aligned with the will of my merciful Heavenly Father? My purpose as a missionary is to invite others to come unto Christ. What a blessed commission I have! It's interesting having the title of a missionary. Some of the best moments are when we finish a lesson, the investigator says the closing prayer, and they thank our Lord for sending the missionaries. Last week one of our investigators - so sweet - said, "Thank you Heavenly Father for sending Sister Mork and Sister Jacobson to help me." Oh how my heart sang! I feel so blessed to be able to serve these wonderful people! Alma 26:16 says, "Therefore let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." Thank you Ammon for saying exactly what my heart so earnestly wants to explain. I can't say what I feel. My heart is consumed by all of these emotions. Joy, hope, faith, love, desire, etc. Then Tuesday night was amazing. We went over to the home of the Lackey's, a wonderful couple in our ward, and talked with Miko, a Chinese foreign exchange student. She's 17 and because she's from China she hasn't had the opportunity to learn about Christ's church so we invited her and she said yes! So we then talked with her and taught her the Restoration. We taught her about how she is a daughter of God and what a Spirit filled that room. She didn't know. She didn't know that she had a loving Father in Heaven that was aware of her. When we said, "Miko, your Heavenly Father loves you. He is always there for you if you pray and talk with Him. He wants to help you," a smile of just full excitement and hope filled her eyes and face. We then spoke about how the gospel really does bless and strengthen families. The teachings it's based on helps families grow so much! We taught about Christ and His love for her and that He died for her because of that love. She just smiled and smiled and smiled and I couldn't stop smiling! Think about it: You have a Heavenly Father that loves YOU. You have an older brother who died for YOU so YOU can return to live with your families again for all eternity after you die and so YOU can repent and be changed to become more like Him everyday! What blessing and tidings of joy this gospel brings! We testified that this is Christ's restored church. He is the head of this gospel. This is His church and His church has the proper authority of God to act in His name. I just love Miko and love teaching her! She is adorable. She is my sister. Wednesday was an emotional day! So Dad you wanted to hear about what a day in the life of a missionary is like. Here we go!:) 6:20 I crawl out of bed, happily, and start the day with prayer. Best way to start the day! Then I put on my tennis and get ready to work out! 6:30 we go for a run, stretch, etc. It's cold, but good! Love getting that fresh air in our lungs. 7 We shower and get ready for the day! Eat breakfast and be presentable for the day! YAY! 8 We have personal study where we can study the Book of Mormon and other gospel books. It's one of my favorite parts of the day. I love having the opportunity to study and gain revelation from my Father in Heaven for myself and those that live in my area. I LOVE IT. 9-11 We have companion study. We sing, pray, read in the white handbook, read Adjusting to Missionary Life, talk about what we learned in personal study, plan for the day, go over 12 weeks, and close with a prayer. 11-12 we have lunch! 12-5 we go out and teach and meet people:) 5-6 we have dinner, usually at a member's home and we share a spiritual thought and leave with a prayer. 6-9 we go out and teach more. 9:30-10 we go over the day and plan for the next day. 10-10:30- we get ready for bed and write in our journals and pray and get some sleep! YAy! So Wednesday we met with many different people. It was a day of teaching and learning. As a missionary, you're able to enter into so many different homes and meet so many different people. The incredible thing is, is that - no matter where you are in life, no matter what you're circumstances are, the gospel and it's teachings can help you. I love being able to show people how the light of Christ can brighten even the darkest moment. He is light, and light and darkness can't co-exist in the same allotted area, so shine His light on your demons and force them to disperse! In 2 Nephi 26:9 it says, "But the Son of righteousness shall appear unto them; and he shall heal them, and they shall have peace with him.." I love that. Lately, I have seen Christ everywhere. Whenever I'm having a hard day and feelings of despair creep in, I picture my Savior walking alongside me and I can't help but smile. He is my best friend. (Besides you, mom & dad;) Close second!<3) Wednesday we were in charge of speaking at a Young Womens/Mens activity. It was on missionary work. All of these younger kids opened up fake calls to go on missions, and as they read the words on the sheet, I was overwhelmed with the memory of when I opened my call, when I read the words of where I would be laboring for the next 18 months for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. A moment such as that is unforgettable. I'm just so humbled by this experience and so eager and excited for those of my friends that will serve missions! What a blessing it is. Then that night we saw Miko again. We taught her the Plan of Salvation, which answers the questions: Where am I from, why am I here, where am I going after I die? Such a powerful and beautiful lesson. Before the lesson we asked, "So Miko, did you pray and read the Book of Mormon last night?" And she said, "Yes. I did." "How was it?" we asked. "It felt... good. I felt Him listening. I feel happy." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! That was hands down one of the best moments I've ever had. Talking with this sweet, beautiful daughter of God and just being able to feel the love that she felt from her Heavenly Father just left me in awe. She can't speak English very well, but the Spirit and love we felt in that room was so overpowering. I love her and I'm so grateful I have the opportunity to teach her! I felt like King Benjamin when he said in Mosiah 3:4, "For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath judged of thy righteousness, and hath sent me to declare unto thee that thou mayest rejoice; and that thou mayest declare unto thy people, that they may also be filled with joy." Thursday we went out and contacted and met a lot of people. Great day of work! Funny note: So mom, I got the curry that you sent me (thank you so much! you're the best mom ever) and I tried to make it.... hahaha it was so burnt. I miss you curry, Dad! You make it the best! Sister Jacobson tried it. "It's not too bad...." She said. hahah I love her. Friday we fasted. Hannah, the 9 year old we've been teaching, hasn't been able to contact her Grandpa who lives far, who they want to baptize her. And we fasted that we would be able to solidify a date and guess what! We did! Later that day we saw Hannah and come to find out, she had finally talked with her grandpa and she'll be baptized on Aril 11th! YAY! Then that night we were walking, it was 8:30 pm, and we were trying to find one more person to teach. We're supposed to be out until 9pm and it's amazing the miracles you see when you're obedient! Sister Jacobson and I were walking alongside each other in the dark and I just could help but smile. You know when a moment is just so blissful that you want to snap a picture of it? It felt like that. We were able to see Matt, one of our investigators! We haven't seen him in a while and it was so nice to catch up and see how he's been doing and share a scripture of love. I love this work! Saturday night we were able to see the General Woman Broadcast! So wonderful! How blessed are we to be able to live in a day and age when we can hear and watch the words of our Lord be spoken through the mouths of His servants. I think of Mosiah 2:41, which says, "And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold they are blessed in all things both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." Sunday we had church, which I love, and it snowed!! Proverbs 3:5 is uplifting. Sorry I'm running out of time to write, but I just want to say: I love you all! God loves you. Moroni 8:3 from me to you; "I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end." Love, Sister Mork

No comments:

Post a Comment